The Topic Search Strategy paper is the first of three related assignments. The purpose of this initial paper is to briefly describe your search strategies when identifying two articles that pertain to an evidence-based practice topic of interest.
Course outcomes: This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes.
1. Examine the sources of knowledge that contribute to professional nursing practice. (PO 7)
2. Apply research principles to the interpretation of the content of published research studies. (POs 4 and 8)
Preparing the assignment:
Follow these guidelines when completing this assignment. Speak with your faculty member if you have questions.
a. Paper should be 3-4 content pages in length. Title and reference pages are required but are excluded from 3-4 -page length.
2) The paper will include the following sections:
a. Clinical Question
· Describe the problem. What is the focus of your work?
· Explain the significance of the problem in terms of patient outcomes. What health outcomes result from your problem? Or what statistics document this is a problem? You may find support on websites for government or professional organizations.
· PICOT question in support of the group topic.
· State the purpose of your paper. What will your paper do or describe? This is like a problem
statement. “The purpose of this paper is to . . .”
b. Levels of Evidence
· Identify the type of question being asked (therapy, prognosis, meaning, etc.).
· What is the best type of evidence to answer that question (e.g., RCT, cohort study, qualitative study, etc.)?
c. Search Strategy
· List search terms and results.
· Databases used (start with the CU library). Link your search with the PICOT question described above.
· Refinement decisions. As you did your search, what decisions did you make in refinement to get your required articles down to a reasonable number for review? Were any limits used? If so, what?